Passion Fruit Meringue TartsCourse: DessertsCuisine: InternationalDifficulty: Medium
This dessert is as delicious as it looks. The delicate tarts have a crunchy bottom, a gooey center and an airy and sweet topper – a decadent ending to what most likely was a passion-filled meal.
74g All-Purpose Flour
35g Unsalted Butter
44g Icing Sugar
1 Passion Fruit
47g Castor Sugar
1 Tablespoon Custard Powder
2 Egg Whites
25g Castor Sugar
1 Teaspoon Fresh Lime Juice
- Place flour on wooden surface. Sieve the icing sugar directly on top. Add the butter and ½ a beaten egg.
- Knead together until the dough is supple and smooth.
- Place the dough on top of baking paper and roll it until 5mm thickness. If the dough sticks to the paper, dust with a little bit of flour.
- Use a round cutter and cut round shapes that will fit the moulds in a muffin baking tray.
- Gently press the dough into the muffin baking trays. Use a fork and pierce holes on to the bottom of each mould.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes at 180°C.
- Remove from moulds and allow to cool.
- Mix room temperature water, sugar and custard powder together. Remove all lumps.
- Place over medium heat for 3 minutes and continuously stir until it thickens.
- Add passion fruit pulp, juice and seeds. Mix slowly to avoid breaking the custard.
- Fill the baked tarts with the filling.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar at high speed until soft peaks.
- Add lime juice and continue whisking until the egg whites become stiff.
- Place the whisked egg whites into a piping bag.
- Pipe the meringue on the top of the filled tarts.
- Transfer the tarts onto a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C until the meringue becomes carmelized on the tips.