Caprese TartletsCourse: StartersCuisine: InternationalDifficulty: Medium
In this recipe, we used semolina flour because the tartlet’s texture will be softer and still retain a gentle crisp. If you are using all-purpose baking flour, when you place tartlets into the oven, cover with aluminium foil and place some beans into each shell, and bake for the same amount of time. After the 15 minutes, remove the beans and aluminium foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
200g Semolina flour
100ml Cold water
140g Unsalted butter
1 Pinch of salt
250g Cherry Tomatoes
150g Mozzarella Cheese
1 Pinch of Dried Oregano
1 Pinch of Dried Basil
1 Pinch of salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- For the tartlets, place semolina flour into a large bowl, add cold unsalted butter and pinch of salt. Using your hands, crumble together. Slowly add cold water as you knead the mixture in the bowl. Remove combined dough from bowl and continue to knead the dough on a flat surface that’s been dusted with flour. Knead until dough becomes smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rest in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Remove the dough and roll it out on a flat surface. Fold the dough and roll again – repeat a total of four times. If the dough is sticking, dust the surface liberally with flour. Finally, roll the dough to 0.25cm thick. Cut large enough circles to fit in your tartlet baking moulds.
- Butter the inside of your tartlet baking moulds and place the circular pieces of dough inside. Gently pat the dough down into the mould with your fingers. Trim extra dough from the edges with a flat knife. Using a fork, pierce the bottom of the shell so that the dough will bake flat and without any air bubbles.
- Place tartlets in pre-heated 180 °C oven for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, wash and slice cherry tomatoes in quarters.
- Chop the mozzarella in small cubes that are approximately the same size of the tomatoes.
- Place tomatoes and mozzarella in a bowl and season with a pinch of oregano, basil and salt. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Remove tartlets from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Once cooled to room temperature, place filling inside tartlets and serve.
- This recipe is part of our renown “The Charming Lonno Lodge Cookbook” that you can download for free or purchase as a printed copy on Amazon.