Coconut Prawns with Dill and Orange MayonnaiseCourse: Main CoursesCuisine: InternationalDifficulty: Medium
Lonno Lodge’s Coconut Prawns are one of my favourite things. They’re a brilliant starter or a light lunch after a morning of watersports. Every bite is crispy, juicy, flavourful and aromatic. Most importantly, it tastes of the adventure that lies ahead.
500g King Prawns
70g Desiccated Coconut
70g All-Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Sweet Paprika
3 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
1 Sprig of Dill
20ml Orange Juice
5g Orange Zest
- Wash, de-shell and de-vein prawns.
- Place prawns in a bowl and add the juice of one lemon, paprika, a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Place the flour onto a plate. In another bowl, beat the eggs. In a third plate, plate the coconut and spread it around.
- Take each prawn and dredge it in the flour, shake-off the excess, submerge it into the beaten egg, and finally place it into the coconut and make sure all surfaces are covered. Throughout this process, hold onto the tail of the prawn. That should be the only part of the prawn that is left uncovered.
- In a shallow pan, heat the vegetable oil until hot. Test the oil by placing a wooden spoon into the oil. If small bubbles form around the spoon, then the oil is hot enough.
- Place the prawns into the oil and deep-fry for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- When ready, place the prawns on paper napkins to help drain excess oil.
- Mix the mayonnaise, finely chopped dill, orange juice and zest together.