Bacon Wrapped Prawns with Chickpea SauceCourse: StartersCuisine: InternationalDifficulty: Easy
Bacon. Cured, smoked and thinly sliced strips of intense savouriness. What’s better than perfectly pan-fried bacon? Crisp bacon wrapped around a delicate prawn. This is the perfect starter if you crave a reminder of the ocean with a subtle saltiness to kick-start your appetite.
12 Bacon Slices
2 Sprigs of Rosemary
Fresh Juice of one Lime
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chickpea Sauce
250g Chickpeas (1 drained 400g can will yield this amount)
1 Pinch of Spanish Paprika
3 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin
- Clean the prawns and remove shells leaving only the tail intact. Devein the prawns by making a shallow incision along the back of the prawn. Remove the intestine, rinse with cold water, and pat dry with towel.
- Season prawns with generous drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, lime juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Take one piece of bacon and wrap it tightly around each prawn.
- Stuff two to three leaves of rosemary in between the layers of bacon as it is wrapped around the prawn.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Place bacon wrapped prawns on a baking sheet and allow to cook for 10 minutes in oven.
- While prawns are cooking in the oven, prepare the chickpea sauce.
- Drain chickpeas and place in a blender with a pinch of Spanish Paprika, pinch of salt, and three tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Blend until a smooth puree.
- Remove bacon wrapped prawns from oven, serve hot with chickpea sauce.