Casoncelli with Sage Butter SauceCourse: First CourseCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Difficult
Any morsel that looks like a sweets’ wrapper will visually tease you. Now, imagine that the aromas of the savoury and fatty sage sauce captivate your sense of smell. Finally, when you place a piece in your mouth you realize that the sauce has puddled in the indentation in the center of each casoncelli making it the perfect whimsical vessel for it.
250g Pasta Dough
250g Minced Beef
1 Garlic Clove
1 Bunch of Parsley
2 tablespoons Bread Crumbs
1 tablespoon Grated Parmesan
200g Unsalted Butter
A bundle of fresh sage
- Egg Wash
1 tablespoon of water
- For the filling, wash the parsley and dry thoroughly. Chop the parsley together with the garlic until very fine.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Place parsley and garlic mixture inside and cook for one minute or until the aromas are released.
- Add minced beef and cook for 10 minutes. Stir frequently. When done, remove from heat to cool.
- Peel potato and boil in water until tender.
- In a large bowl, place cooled meat mixture and add bread crumbs, Parmesan and egg.
- Place cooked potato in a ricer and add directly into mixture. Add a pinch of salt, black pepper and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Roll pasta dough into a thin sheet with a thickness of 2mm and cut into circles with 8cm diameter.
- Lightly brush egg wash over one side of the pasta circles. Make sure the side that you’ve brushed faces up.
- Place a ball of filling in the center and fold the pasta in half – forming a half moon shape.
- Place the crescent side of the half moon shape on to the flat wooden surface and make an indentation with your finger in the center of the filling. The final shape should resemble a miniature canoe or sweets wrapper.
- For the sauce, melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add fresh sage leaves and allow to fry for a couple of minutes to allow the aromas to permeate the butter. Once the sage is crisp on the edges, pour over casoncelli.
- This recipe is part of our renown “The Charming Lonno Lodge Cookbook” that you can download for free or purchase as a printed copy on Amazon.